5.21.2010

Back to the Future, or Something

Well, well, well, look at who is still around: "Baby."

Baby 1

Partly I can't believe that something so silly as an inflatable dolphin would continue to amuse my child -- she grows bored of things quickly. Especially when they're noisy, talking toys with hidden power switches.

Baby 2

But when we get to my grandparents', she follows her "baby" all around the pool, picking it up when it is close to the wall and throwing it back in, asking someone to "rescue" it when it wanders with the tide into the deep end.

Baby 3

She plays with it and talks to it, too, like it's her little buddy or something. I'd say it's strange, but I used to pretend that my imaginary friend, Elizabeth Toni, lived in my Aunt Shirl's lazy Susan. To each his own, I suppose.

Baby 4

I still talk to myself anyway, so I suppose it's No Big Deal that my kid has conversations with an inflatable baby dolphin who lives in her great-grandparents' swimming pool. Everybody deserves a best friend. Even plastic pool toys.

3 comments:

  1. You know, Elizabeth Toni may still be in my Mom's lazy susan. You should check next time you're down there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just cracked up at the sentence about your imaginary friend living in your aunt's lazy susan. That is just so very...specific. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's specific, and also true. I have no idea where the name came from, but I am pretty sure that the lazy Susan thing came from Mr. Rogers. Didn't he have a spinning thing, that took us into the Land of Make Believe?

    ReplyDelete