2.14.2011

10 Things I Hate About You

I hate that when you're not in bed, I can't sleep well. Sometimes I will fall into a deep sleep, but I almost always wake up and wonder where you are. I hate worrying, even though I know that you are always somewhere trying to get back to me.

I hate that I need to hear the sound of your breathing -- and even your snoring -- in order to feel completely comfortable in our bed. I hate being so dependent on someone else for such simple emotional security.

I hate that you hate your gray hairs, even though I think they make you look distinguished and mature -- and I feel doubly bad about the fact that I am secretly a little bit proud of every single gray hair that you have earned from being married to me.

I hate that no matter how hard I look, no matter how hard I try, I can't find a single wrinkle on your face. I've seen you frown, but yet your face is totally unlined. I guess I've earned every one of my wrinkles like you've earned every one of your gray hairs. I don't like it.

I hate that you look much more handsome with your grays, and I just look older with my wrinkles. I guess I just hate that growing older together means that we both have to, you know, get older. I still feel like we're the same teenage dirtbags who fell in love all those years ago, and I hate that we don't still look it.

I hate that you get as excited when my teams win championships as you do when your own teams do. Your teams have, combined, won 16 championships -- your football team alone has won more championships than all my teams combined. I especially hate that you're such an unselfish fan that you were less upset that the Steelers lost the Super Bowl this year than I was. How dare you have the decency to be a really good sport, you jerk?

I hate that you make me be the "bad cop" sometimes when it comes to disciplining our daughter. I hate that I am better at being the "bad cop" that you are.

I hate that pained look on your face when it's your turn to be the "bad cop." I really hate that I am better at being the "bad cop" than you are.

I hate that you don't like mushrooms or Brussels sprouts, which are two of my very favorite vegetables in the whole world. I hate that no amount of bacon, garlic, butter, cheese sauce, or other kitchen alchemy can make you love these foods.

I hate that after seventeen years together, including twelve years of marriage, I had to work really hard to come up with this list of ten things that I (don't) really hate about you. I hate that I know that I'm the lucky one, here -- I get to spend the rest of my life with Mr. Perfect-for-Me, and you get to spend the rest of your life with ... well, me.

3 comments:

  1. You just warmed my cold, dead heart. Awww.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where's the you dont hear me or listen comment..if it doesnt apply you're not married long enough love mom...ps happy valentines day !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally made me wibble. <3

    Also, this made me laugh loudly:
    "...I am secretly a little bit proud of every single gray hair that you have earned from being married to me."

    I tell C all the time that the grey hair in his beard he so proudly points out is because of ME. ;)

    ReplyDelete