9.20.2011

Eaters Gonna Eat: White Bean Chili

Normally I put the foodie stuff over on my emergency backup blog but this stuff is SO GOOD that I'm sharing it here with all of you because I love you. No, wait: I was hiding under your porch because I love you. I don't really know why I'm sharing this recipe. Maybe because it's rainy and damp and icky outside and I think you all need to spice up your lives? I dunno. Just make it and eat it, and then eat some more, because I said so. You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

WHITE BEAN CHILI
Based on Paula Deen's recipe

4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
2 cans (4½ ounces each) chopped green chiles
1 pound ground chicken or turkey
1 tablespoon minced garlic
¾ cup diced onion
2 cans (15 ounces each) navy beans
1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans
5 cups chicken stock
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
¼ teaspoon chili powder
2 pinches red pepper flakes
½ bunch parsley leaves, chopped
1 can (11 ounces) white shoepeg corn

  1. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Drain chiles and set aside. Add ground meat, garlic, onion, and chiles to pot and sauté for 8-10 minutes or until meat is completely cooked through and vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally.
  2. Meanwhile, drain and rinse beans. When meat mixture is browned, add beans and chicken stock to pot and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to medium and cook for another 1-1½ hours, stirring occasionally, or until desired consistency is reached.
  3. Drain corn. Stir into chili and allow to heat through for about 5 minutes. Serve immediately, or properly cool for crock pot reheating.
NOTES -- I made this with ground turkey, because I couldn't find ground chicken. The recipe calls for cilantro instead of parsley but I was in a hurry at the store yesterday and grabbed the wrong thing. I like it this way so that's how I'll make it in the future. You can use half the can of corn if you don't like a lot of corn in your chili, but I do; you can also substitute yellow corn, or even Mexicorn or a can of the black-bean-and-corn blend if you want to add some color. I made it last night and then reheated it in the crock pot this morning (1½ hours on low and then switched to "Keep Warm" setting).

My regular chili has more of a subtle heat to it; this is spicy right up front, but not too hot (because I won't eat it if it is). You can omit the chili powder and reduce the amount of cumin if you don't like it to be hot at all. A plop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cheese on top when you serve can also help cut the heat. Let me know if you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment